This position offers a unique opportunity to develop and apply your cutting-edge knowledge of data science methods, and software and data engineering to create results and insights that are transforming the transport and logistics industry. As a Data Scientist with Maersk, you will be part of the Data Science & Artificial Intelligence community, where we automate decisions across our core businesses by combining domain expertise, scientific methodology and engineering.
• We operate in a fast-paced environment utilizing modern technologies and bias toward action.
• We value customer outcomes and are passionate about using technology to solve problems.
• We are a diverse team with colleagues from different backgrounds and cultures
• We offer the freedom, and responsibility, to shape the setup and the processes we use in our community
• We support continuous learning, including through conferences, workshops and meetups.
This is an extremely exciting time to join a growing and dynamic team that solves some of the toughest problems in the industry and builds the future of trade & logistics. Maersk’s Technology organisation offers a unique opportunity to impact global trade via the largest container shipping company in the world. In our Copenhagen office, we are a growing team of more than 30 nationalities. We focus on our people and the right candidate will have broad possibilities to further develop competencies in an environment characterised by change and continuous progress.
You will be part of a strong data science and full-stack software engineering team, shaping product and business decisions to help drive digital transformation at one of the largest companies in the world. Your responsibilities include:
• Deeply understand our customer and business problems and apply your ability with predictive modelling, forecasting, machine learning, operations research or mathematical optimisation techniques to develop our visibility software. We care about team members who are not only technical specialists but are excited about understanding the logistics domain—no prior experience in logistics required, so long as you are committed to learning!
• We work end-to-end: design, prototype, implement and test descriptive, predictive and optimisation models as software, in a talented and highly engaged team of data scientists and software engineers.
• Operate in a scrum team with a dedicated product manager, independently directing your time and resources together with other software engineers and data scientists in the team. You will need to participate in transforming the way we work. The cultural transformation of our business and industry is the guarantee of long-term growth and success.
• You will partner with customers, businesses and internal/external stakeholders, including traveling to our front-line locations around the world on occasion. This is a role with global impact, and requires a candidate motivated by and comfortable with a highly international environment.
We are looking for
• M.Sc. or PhD degree in statistics, applied mathematics, operations research, computer science or related field
• More than 2 years industry experience, in either a software or technical industrial company, as part of a team developing software. This is a hands-on development role.
• 5+ years’ experience using Python and/or R (SQL is a plus) to build and apply data science models (e.g., predictive and optimisation).
• Understanding and experience with the engineering of data science systems, and experience with large-scale data systems (e.g. SQL, Hadoop, or Spark) for data visualization and modeling.
• A good team player, balanced with the autonomy and motivation to produce individually, ability to communicate data science results to business stakeholders
• Fluent proficiency in both written and oral English
• Deep knowledge of machine learning and statistical models (prediction, classification, clustering, time series forecasting, regression models, etc.), mathematical optimisation, decision science and operations research (linear and mixed-integer programming, dynamic optimisation, stochastic optimisation, etc.)
• Working knowledge of Docker, Jenkins, Kubernetes and cloud technologies, e.g. Azure, GCP or AWS.