Do you want to work with complex data, Data Warehousing and the latest technologies within Big Data, like Hadoop, Spark, Hive, as well as the Microsoft BI universe?
Do you consider yourself as being an experienced and dedicated developer, delivering data solutions by using these technologies? If so, then contact us to hear more about how you can be part of an exciting journey, in which you will play a key role in developing and maintaining our new Data Foundation and supporting Codan in being a truly data-driven company.
As Lead Data Engineer, you play a key role in the success of the Data Foundation team in Codan. Since we are building a new data foundation for curated and certified data to all our data consumers (e.g. Advance Analytics and Digital Transformation projects), you will be responsible for creating, expanding, and optimizing our dataflow architecture.
We work in small, highly collaborative agile teams that typically includes Data Scientists, Software Engineers, Business Analysts, and Product Managers. You and your team will have a clear mission and ownership of an important outcome that supports Codan and our customers.
The position is based in Copenhagen, but you will work closely with our colleagues in Malmö, i.e. some travelling will be required.
Responsibilities as Lead Data Engineer
As Lead Data Engineer, you will build the Data infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and ‘big data’ / Hadoop technologies. You will also build analytics tools to support the data flow. You will also ensure that the optimal data delivery architecture is consistent across the projects. Other responsibilities will be to:
- Work with stakeholders including Business Analyst, Product Owner and Data Scientists and Design teams, to assist with data related challenges and support their data infrastructure needs
- Create data tools for analytics and data scientist team members
- Work with data and analytics experts to strive for greater functionality in our data systems
- Working closely with our Solution Architect on defining and maintaining guiding principle and standards for development
- Coach and lead Codan’s development team and participate in development
What’s in it for you?
The opportunity for a career in a well-established, yet changing, fast-paced and dynamic insurance company. You will become part of the Data Foundation team within Codan’s Business Development Office, counting 19 committed colleagues in Copenhagen and Malmö, characterized by a high degree of professionalism, openness and willingness to make a difference. We are a team with a high degree of entrepreneurial spirit and willingness to collaborate to succeed.
Personal and professional qualifications
The ideal candidate is an experienced data-flow builder, who is self-directed and comfortable with supporting the data needs from multiple teams, systems, and products, with the following technical qualifications:
- 6-8 years of working experience within Data Warehousing and BI
- Working experience in ‘Big Data’ technologies
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data, processes to answer specific business questions, and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets, and operational data sets
- Experience of building processes supporting data transformation, data structures and metadata
- A successful history of manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large disconnected datasets
- Working knowledge of stream and batch processing using Kafka, Spark, HDFS and containerization
- Working knowledge of Microsoft SQL platform and BI Basics
In this role, you will need to:
- Have a can-do attitude with strong focus on customer service, and Solution delivery
- Have the ability to take the lead, to encourage new ideas, and take ownership of challenges, individually as well as in teams
- Have the ability and desire to create a culture that supports learning, renewal, knowledge sharing, and collaboration
- Have proven experience with implementing and/or managing solutions that deliver data to areas such as Business Analytics, Process automation and Digitalization
- Have proven experience with interacting and influencing key stakeholders at all levels across the organisation
- Have the ability to perform under pressure and make decisions that moves the initiatives forward
- Work in a structured manner and be good at time management
- Be proficient in English and communicate effortlessly in at least one of the Scandinavian languages
A relevant academic background is desirable and experience from the Insurance Industry will be a plus.