The role as the senior data scientist is to analyze single-cell data, to oversee the development of single-cell sequencing data workflows and to supervise the Platform’s computational biology team to ensure a high-level of expertise in our effort to support the researchers at the Center for Basic Metabolic Research. The advertised job is an exciting opportunity for ambitious candidates with a computational background to establish themselves in the field of genomics services.
The Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research (CBMR) was established in 2010 to conduct fundamental research on metabolism. The Center has around 260 employees, consisting of 21 research groups and 5 technology platforms, who work in a vibrant international research environment with a focus on interdisciplinary collaboration. Our researchers share a common purpose as they seek to transform the basic understanding of the mechanisms involved in metabolic health and disease, and to accelerate this knowledge towards new prevention and treatment strategies. The Center’s research has resulted in seminal discoveries as to how genes, hormones, and environmental factors influence metabolic health and disease throughout life.
The position available is in the Single-Cell Omics Platform, a service platform, which was established in 2018 to provide CBMR researchers access to the latest cutting-edge bulk and single-cell transcriptomics and epigenetics techniques. Currently, the Platform team comprises laboratory technicians, bioinformaticians, mathematicians and a platform manager.
As a senior data scientist in the Single-Cell Omics Platform, you will be responsible for processing and analyzing single-cell transcriptomics and single-cell epigenetics data as well as overseeing the development of our data workflows and the implementation of new analysis techniques. Furthermore, you will be supervising the Platform’s computational biology team. We are employing state-of-the-art equipment, have solid expertise in working with single-cell data and are embedded tightly into the Danish single-cell community. The Platform is an integral part of the Center and hence, a large part of the work tasks is on a daily basis interacting with multiple of the scientific research groups across the Center.
- To develop and maintain computational workflows to process and analyze single-cell sequencing data.
- To apply the computational single-cell tools on primary data from research groups across the Center.
- To supervise and support the Platform’s computational biology team.
- A science degree in data science, applied math, applied statistics, bioinformatics, computer science, systems biology, biotechnology or the like.
- Solid programming skills in the scripting languages Python or R.
- Experience with workflow management using environments like Targets or Snakemake.
- Solid experience working with single-cell transcriptomics software such as Seurat or Scanpy.
- Experience with computational tools for preprocessing of single-cell sequencing data.
- Experience in using the Unix/Linux operating system.
- Experience in analyzing single-cell epigenetics data.
- Experience working with data visualization
- Motivated and hardworking personality with good social skills
- Motivated to instruct researchers with less advanced programming skills in using the Platform’s computational workflows
- Fluent in written and spoken English is an absolute requirement.
- Creative and stimulating working conditions in dynamic and international research environment.
- Highly motivated colleagues and the possibility to contribute to and co-author cutting-edge scientific publications.
- Attractive employment conditions.
- A centrally located workplace.
Place of employment
The place of employment is the Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen.