Do you want to develop ground-breaking scientific software?
If you have backend software development with strong database skills, and you are looking for a job that is different from most software jobs, you have it right here. At DTU Biosustain you will be part of a highly inspiring R&D environment where you can learn a lot and contribute to the development of very advanced software solutions aimed at solving some of the world’s greatest challenges – new environment friendly products, better and less energy consuming manufacturing processes, new medical treatments, climate friendly farming, etc. Please note that the position is limited for a 3 years period.
Develop software as the foundation for new scientific achievements
At DTU Biosustain we create novel methods and technologies as a foundation for development of new environment friendly products, better and less energy consuming manufacturing processes, new medical treatments, climate friendly farming, etc.
As Database/Backend Developer, you will contribute to the success of our products. You will work with both maintenance and optimisation of existing databases and contribute to the further development of our ground-breaking new informatics platform named Lifelike. Lifelike is a knowledge management and data analytics platform that stores knowledge in a human and machine-readable format that allows researchers and computers to work together in understanding and solving complex problems. We have utilized the newest knowledge within Artificial Intelligence, machine learning, natural language processing and knowledge graphs. More specifically you will:
- Work with our Informatics/Data Architect on designing and implementing relational and graph database stores (Neo4J, PostgreSQL, SQL Server)
- Implement robust ETL and data loading scripts
- Perform routine data management activities like analysis, cleansing, and reporting
- Work with data owners on data collection processes
- Support our software engineers on data warehousing and data lake projects
- Keep up with best practices in emerging data management practices
- Develop backend code in Python
- Work in an Agile software development environment
Our current technologies and tools
- Persistence and caching: PostgreSQL, Redis, Neo4j, Elasticsearch, Azure SQL Database (SQL Server)
- Clouds: Google and Azure
You will join a team of Computer Scientists, Biology Professionals and Data Science Specialists based in Copenhagen and the US. You will be based at DTU in Lyngby, Copenhagen. Our culture is characterised by trust, knowledge sharing, joined decisions and helpfulness. Travelling is not part of the job but as we work closely together with colleagues in the US, you must be ready to do some calls outside normal office hours.
Degree in computer science and excellent knowledge of databases
You must bring overview and interest in the total solutions in order to understand how you can build the best possible components. As you will be trusted with great responsibility you must be able to plan your work to deliver within agreed deadlines. Additionally, your CV comprises:
- A university degree in computer science or equivalent
- Work experience in database design and modelling like relational databases, SQL and Graph databases, in particular Neo4J
- Familiarity with databases and scripting / programming (preferably Python)
- Familiarity with data warehouse and data lake implementation
- Good Python programming skills
- Familiarity with biological data including omics data types such as genomics and transcriptomics would be a plus
- GitHub knowledge
- Knowledge of Biology would be a plus
- Agile knowledge